Artist Profile: Ralph McGaul

Well, hopefully that's the last of the snow.  I'm heading out there with my snow shovel and grit regularly, keeping the paths clear for my Pop Up Art and Craft Sale on 4th and 5th December - this weekend in other words.

Ralph McGaul, Birdcage
Some more about the artists who are exhibiting with me:  Today, Ralph McGaul.  Ralph is an up-and-coming painter and printmaker based in Macclesfield.  Some you you may have seen his work at 'The Art of Caring' recently - the exhibition put on by the East Cheshire Hospice.  He sold practically all of the paintings that he showed there, proving that people know a good thing when they see it.  He also took part in the highly acclaimed 'Save Us' exhibibition at Christchurch during the Barnaby Festival this summer (remember summer?) with his moving and historially grounded mosaic 'Death Size' alluding to the church's role in burial, and he has been active on the local scene with shows at the Bollington Festival and various open studio events.  Ralph says:

"My paintings and prints almost always include people. Observation and representation are important but only to a point because I like my work to have energy and purity, hence my expressive style. People provide the perfect subject for me to achieve the raw and primitive qualities which I seek, yet without delving into pure abstraction.
I paint using acrylic, usually on quite a large scale. I work mostly on boards, as opposed to canvas, because I like to sand and chisel the surface, or add collage in order to enrich the picture. I also make woodcuts and etchings."

For my Pop Up Sale, Ralph has agreed to send me several of this wonderfully quirky prints.  I'm a particular fan of print-making and Ralph's technique of wood and and lino-cut which gives a blocky quality together with an uncertain line make for solid and yet artful images with heaps of character.

For more info about the Pop Up Art and Craft Sale, see this blog post, or my website

Profiling on Thursday: Jude Stoll.  Other artists showing at my Pop Up Sale are Jane Cummins, Ruth Robinson, Jane Osmond, Louise Watson and Ralph McGaul. More profiles later in the week............

Pop Up Art and Craft Sale, Saturday 4 and Sunday 5 December 2010, 10-5pm.
Location: 87b Gawsworth Road, Macclesfield, Cheshire, Sk11 8UF.  01625 421768

Comments

Popular Posts