Artist Profile: Jane Cummins

In the next few days I'm profiling the artists who are taking part in my Pop Up Art and Craft Sale at my Studio on 4 and 5 December.  Today; Jane Cummins

Jane Cummins combines the ancient techniques of woodturning and feltmaking with a lightness of touch and an eye for detail to make stunning sculptural objects, bowls, wall panels, handbags and accessories.  With an award winning practice, and selling her work nationwide, she is someone to watch, and I'm delighted she's agreed to lend me some of her handbags and accessories for my Pop Up Sale. 

Jane says of her work:  "The methods I use to produce my work are centuries old techniques; feltmaking, woodturning and moulding plywood. 
I have a longstanding interest in textiles, the most recent being feltmaking. My fascination with felt is in the making process how the fibres matt together producing a fabric and how the process can be manipulated to produce shape. Working with textiles has made texture important to me both visually and through touch.
Whilst looking for a material that would compliment the felt I was introduced to woodturning. Using the lathe I work with the grain to produce contrasting textures and patterns to the surface of the wood, the handmade felt adding further colour and texture.
Using the materials again I combine laminated birch plywood frames with handmade felt to produce a unique range of contemporary handbags.
My overall aim being to create a desire to touch, and feel the contrasts between the surfaces and materials."

Jump to Jane Cummins website
For more info about the Pop Up Art and Craft Sale, see this blog post, or my website

Profiling on Monday: Louise Watson,  glass artist.

Pop Up Art and Craft Sale, Saturday 4 and Sunday 5 December 2010, 10-5pm.
Location: 87b Gawsworth Road, Macclesfield, Cheshire, Sk11 8UF.  01625 421768

Comments

Popular Posts