BodyWork; glass jewellery by sculptors at the Bullseye Gallery




Swathe III Sculpture, 2010
If you make sculptures and you make jewellery, people are a bit sniffy about the jewellery.  Or they like the jewellery and think the sculptures are a bit pie in the sky. Bullseye Glass have been brave enough to acknowledge that many glass artists make jewellery as well, and to stage a show based on it.  Click here to see the video. There is something so personal and engaging about jewellery - it gets closer to us than most sculpture. And it goes back such a long way. I find this with my 'Strange Music, Rough Magic Series' of necklaces.  I love them. They explore ideas, tell a story, offer something to explore.  So does my sculpture, but I often feel that I have to explain how they can be part of the same practice. I think we need to get over ourselves and learn that both sculpture and jewellery can exist side by side.

'Stange Music, Rough Magic' necklaces



Jump to Victoria Scholes' website




Comments

Popular Posts